Friday, August 5, 2011

Shockingly good: El Super Burrito

Truth be told, I have eaten here three times in the last four days. Once, I told myself it was so that I could write this blog post and provide you with some photographs, but then I forgot my camera, and ended up eating here anyway. Twice.  I think I am officially obsessed with this place.

Once, it was Bene Pizza, and it was the cheeky, upscale awesome pizza-and-salad place I craved most often. But Bene went toes up not too long ago, and this place moved into their location. I giggled at the name and sign combination.  "El Super Burrito"has a logo that is actually a little donkey wearing a mask and a cape. It killed me every time we drove past, but I couldn't ever seem to convince G we should try it.

Yesterday he relented, and so we tried it! And it is my new obsession.  I think I have a new first love when it comes to cheap Mexican food.

First Meal:
G--chicken fajita burrito.  So yummy.  Everything grilled, including the interior vegetables.
Me--a ground beef taco salad (it was the daily lunch special, so it came with a drink and was just 5.00. Ridiculous. Really good.)

Second Meal:
G--Torta Cubana--this sandwich is a wonder. Friend chicken cutlet, carnitas pork, and a slice of ham. Tomatoes, chipotle mayo, slices of avocado, and sour cream. Copious meal for 5.00.
Me--Ground Beef Enchiladas--not overly wet. Not tubes of cheese. Tests like its component parts and not just a gooey mess. Also really good.

Third Meal:
G--Super Fries--french fries covered with a meat of your choice (carnitas, in this case), cheese, beans, and sour cream.  Ask to add tomatoes. They make a huge difference.
Me--Torta Cubana--Still yummy. I didn't put it down after I picked it up.

This place has served us six completely delicious and extremely reasonably priced meals, so far, and I have to say the real stand out remains the torta cubana.

ETA: On the weekends, they make a special hot sauce that is not to be missed.  I asked if they had a name for it, and they don't, so G and I have been calling it "weekend sauce." It's tangy, and tastes like the underlying ingredients have been roasted.  SO good.

El Super Burrito on Urbanspoon

Hours: Everyday, 8:00 AM to 8:30 PM

6 comments:

  1. YAY new burrito place and new blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to try the Super Fries. They sound wonderful. They sound like something that should be a part of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really do. You should go on the weekend, when they apparently make a special, unnamed hot sauce that rocked my socks clean off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found the blog. I was also wondering why there wasn't a Eugene restaurant blog. Now I know there is. Good job.

    Just tried El Super Burrito last night - I live about a block away from it, but kept procrastinating. Surprisingly good. Had the enchilada plate with carnitas. Muy tasty.

    I love the logo - the burro with the cape looks even cooler when you notice they kept the shape of the old Bene sign.

    And I love the posters inside of he-man Aztec gods carrying swooning Aztec goddesses. I'm sure there's a more culturally sophisticated way to put it but...I just think they're cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just heard about this place for the first time the other day, and after reading your reviews I'm 100% convinced that I need to go there. like tomorrow. Side note: Loving the Eugene food blog idea!! I just started a blog of my own and I'm hoping to throw in some great restaurant reviews myself. I'll definitely have to dive into your blog for some inspiration!
    hollyjefferis.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. You may ponder what's so troublesome about making a decent logo. They look simple to do, so no issue, isn't that so? When you just observe the aftereffect of an architect's endeavors, the logo creation can resemble a basic assignment. Be that as it may, it's most certainly not. A logo takes thought and inventiveness, and numerous components consolidate to make a fruitful logo. logo design service

    ReplyDelete